I made this for MOPS this morning. It was so good, I made it for dinner tonight! The bad photo here really does not do this versatile casserole justice.
- 12 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 1/3 c. cooked, diced ham
- 1/4 c. butter, melted
- 3 cups croutons
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1 3/4 c. milk
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1/3 c. frozen spinach, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325. Spray a 9 x 13 in. baking dish with cooking oil. Place croutons in bottom of dish and drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with cheese.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together milk and eggs. Add peppers, spinach, salt and pepper, and mix until combined. Pour egg mixture over croutons and cheese, and sprinkle with meat.
3. Bake 40 minutes. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.
Notes: I prepared this breakfast dish in its original form for MOPS, but I added the ham and spinach for dinner tonight. As we were eating, I was thinking of all the possible variations… sausage, chicken, beef, broccoli, tomatoes. You can really use any meat and veggie combo you like!