We put Abram on the BRAT diet (Bananas Rice Apples Toast) while he had diarrhea. He didn’t want to eat any of those things, so I made him “BRAT Cookies.” He ate the dough and one cookie. Sigh.
(Adapted from this recipe)
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. + 1 pinch baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 medium banana mashed
- 1/4 cup brown rice protein powder (You could use soy or whey, but I used rice because it’s in the BRAT diet.)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, butter and egg; beat well. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in protein powder, peanut butter, applesauce, and mashed banana.
2. Roll into 1-inch balls, roll in raw sugar and drop 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets covered with parchment paper or lightly greased. Press with fork.
3. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from cookie sheets and cool completely.
Variation: Skip the rolling in raw sugar and dust with powdered sugar after removing cookies from oven.