- 4 lbs. cooking apples (I used 1/2 Jonathan, 1/2 Fuji)
- 2 cups apple cider (Trader Joe’s Spiced Cider is the BEST ever)
- 2 cups raw or white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 rounded tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/8 tsp. all spice
- 1/8 tsp. salt
1. Stem, core and quarter apples (do not peel) and place in slow cooker. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over apples.
2. Cook on high for 3 hours, stirring every hour; cook on low for 9-10 hours until butter is thick and dark. Mash the apples with a potato masher when they soften. Whisk whenever you are drawn to the kitchen by the lovely smells!
3. Cool completely. Puree the whole shebang in a blender until smooth.
4. Freeze or can. I froze a quart-sized bag and put the rest in the fridge. Delicious on toast, plain cheesecake, ice cream, oatmeal, and probably all sorts of other things!