Yep, it’s so good it deserves its own post. It’s simple, it’s flavorful, it’s perfect for those who “have too much of a good thing”! The thing I love about recipes like this is that one can easily alter it to suit his or her own personal taste. The recipe comes from the book Backyard Homesteading: A Back-to-Basics Guide to Self-Sufficiency, which is a really excellent, informative book with beautiful pictures. You can actually look up the original recipe in the book on Amazon–it’s on page 64! Below is my rendition, which is well-suited for two people rather than eight.
Garden Bounty Salad
- 3 ripe roma tomatoes
- 1 large green sweet pepper
- 1 small purple sweet pepper
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1/2 cup sweet corn off the cob, cooked and chilled
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, cold-pressed, unfiltered
- 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. red wine vinegar, raw
- sea salt & freshly-ground pepper to taste
Remove seeds and cores from tomatoes and peppers. Chop tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers into bite-sized chunks. Toss everything into a bowl and stir gently. Chill. The book says to make it the night before for full flavor!